Marston Law

218 N. Lee Street - Suite 300 - Alexandria, VA 22314

Phone: 703-548-0154

Send an email to Philip Marston

Click Globe for CCS Resources

Carbon updates from Washington, DC

 Back to News from Washington….

Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

 

· 1979 Declaratory Order in Cortez Pipeline Company, 7 FERC ¶ 61,024 (1979)

             On April 6, 1979, the FERC issued a Declaratory Order finding that a proposed CO2 pipeline was not              subject to the Natural Gas Act.  The FERC found that a gas that was 98 percent pure carbon dioxide with              traces of methane in the remaining 2 percent (which was not separated from the main production) was    not "natural gas" within the meaning of the Natural Gas Act.  Cortez Pipeline

 

· See also Order Approving Abandonment, issued in Southern Natural Gas Company, 115 FERC ¶ 62,266 (2006) (approving abandonment by sale of 142 miles of natural gas pipeline (principally 8 and 18 inches in diameter) for conversion to CO2 transportation) and reiterating non-jurisdictional nature of pipeline transmission of CO2 under the Natural Gas Act.

 

 

For additional resources, please consult the FERC’s main page at:  www.ferc.gov